- Tainan History and Coastal Ride Summary
- Start: AnNan 安南 & Luerhmen Temple No. 1
- Koxinga Temple (鄭成功廟) & Landing Place
- AnPing Harbor
- AnPing Old Street District (安平老街)
- VIDEO: Fort Zeelandia Fly Through
- Continue to Part 2!
- Also Recommended:
- Taiwan Bike Routes Map
- [ Oysters Everywhere! ] ChiaYi Land and Coastal Ride Part 1 嘉義老廟蚵港騎之一
- [ Race with Rain Clouds! ] TaoYuan Coastal Bike Path Ride Part 1 桃園濱海自行車道騎之一
- Like My Posts? Subscribe below and Get Latest Post Email Update!
Tainan History and Coastal Ride Summary
- Self Ride
- Starting/ending Location: 7-11 near AnNan Area (安南，台南)
- Bike Length: ~ 113 km.
- Hill profile: Flat.
- Good for: Adventure ride.
- Scooters running red lights.
- Many 4-lane crossing.
- It is much better doing this route in winter.
- Route Highlights:
- Luerhmen Mazu Temple (正統鹿耳門聖母廟)
- Luerman River Exit (府城天險)
- AnPing Small Fort (安平小砲台)
- Deyang ship destroyer (德陽艦驅逐艦)
- Eternal Golden Castle (億載金城)
- AnPing Old Street (安平老街)
- AnPing Old Fort (安平古堡)
- Former Tait & Co. Merchant House (德記洋行)
- Sio House (夕游出張所)
- Taijiang National Park (台江國家公園)
- Luerhmen Mazu Temple (鹿耳門天后宮)
- Fan shaped salt fields (扇形鹽田)
- Taiwan Salt Museum & salt hills (台鹽博物館)
- GuoSheng Lighthouse (國聖燈塔)
- Various bird watching places (賞鳥亭)
The Tainan History and Coastal Ride was the 6th effort after ChiaYi Land and Coastal Ride, to develop near 100 km Taiwan shore riding route.
The route consisted of two loops. First it went south through Tainan’s historical AnPing (安平) harbor district and the adjacent new TaiJiang National Park. Then the route went north towards the vast QiGu (七股) coastal wetland area.
Warning: the route would be more enjoyable in winter. Riding in summer like I did will need great perseverance through ultrahigh temperature!
Start: AnNan 安南 & Luerhmen Temple No. 1
Our Tainan History and Coastal Ride started near the southern riverbank of ZengWun River (曾文溪), the river that formed the biggest ChiaNan plain in Taiwan.
Riding along the riverbank road.
Going on top of riverbank for a greater view.
Onto the other side of riverbank to cross the bridge beneath.
Soon we could see the big Luerhmen Mazu Temple (正統鹿耳門聖母廟). There were actually two Mazu Temple, both claimed they were the right successor of the original Luerhmen Mazu temple destroyed by flood hundreds of years ago. Lol.
The big Mazu Temple and its reflection.
Badass Mazu temple guardian statue.
“Good luck bell.”
As a giant temple, the structure had a front, middle, and rear houses, and was surrounded by wings on both sides.
The main Mazu chamber.
The rear house had Buddhism gods. It was very common in Taiwan to mix Tao worship with Buddhism worship.
Lotus shaped offering paper.
Deity gaming station. Lol.
Koxinga Temple (鄭成功廟) & Landing Place
Having enough of the big temple, our Tainan History and Coastal Ride continued south towards sea exit to visit Koxinga Temple & Landing Place.
Super weird wall art.
There were many fish ponds here.
We would follow the river all the way to sea exit.
Local fishing harbor.
Koxinga was a former general who defected Dutch outpost in Tainan. At the sea exit there was a temple and monument to memorize the moment his troop entered the river.
Koxinga statue. Kind of lonely here though.
After the temple, we continued riding south near the coast.
Passing fishing harbor again.
Shitty bike route signs.
Coast line bike route.
Crossing the bridge to AnPing.
Our Tainan History and Coastal Ride soon reached the oldest township of Taiwan: AnPing (安平).
Dated back to 1600s, AnPing was first a pirate cove, then occupied by Dutch, then by Koxinga. The town still had many historical monuments from all era.
Main harbor entrance.
Tainan city view on the other side.
Coast guard station.
Old AnPing small fortress.
Main fisherman’s port.
Somebody had a cool statue at their house.
LinMoNiang Park (林默娘公園). LinMoNiang was Mazu’s original name, so again the statue was the sea goddess, wishing good luck for the fishermen.
There was also a former battleship at the harbor.
Eternal Golden Castle (億載金城), a former battery in Qing Dynasty.
Harbor aero view.
AnPing Old Street District (安平老街)
After visiting the harbor area, our Tainan History and Coastal Ride went into the rich AnPing Old Street area to visit more historical monument, the most famous Fort Zeelandia (安平古堡)